Total Pageviews

Friday, August 10, 2012

5 things I've learned from my TVC stint



Wow, it's been a long time since I last wrote a blog entry, but while the idea that I have in my cranium is still fresh, I should take the time to write it down. 

Every new experience in our life leads to valuable learning. In my years working as a trainer, I would always make the mistake of thinking that I've conquered the greatest challenge I could face for every significant milestone that I would complete. When I trained teachers to become trainers, I thought nothing could be more difficult than that. Then came the chance to conduct training sessions in front of fellow trainers including the American training managers, who had their critical eyes locked on your every move in the room. I thought that superseded the first, but then I was called on to conduct seminars for professionals. This added more pressure because the trainees were paying the training firm a huge amount of money just to improve their communication skills, and that burden was on my shoulders. 

The bottomline is that this cycle keeps on going - just when you think that you've surmounted the greatest challenge you can handle, life surprises you with a new one to test and stretch your skills. Just recently, I found myself on a different stage when I got the opportunity to act in a TV commercial for SMART, one of the leading telecommunication companies in the Philippines. I got a lucky break because the studio needed someone who is articulate in English and a perfect match for the role of a reporter. Fortunately, I passed the client's standards, and I was off to venture into unknown territory. 

These are some of the things that I learned from the video shoot - 

1) Manner of talking - The director told me that a language trainer's way of talking is too smooth and liaised, so I should slow down a bit. Intonation naturally rises and falls, creating a sort of rhythm as if you're singing. However, that should be avoided because some of the words should really be prolonged, with matching emotions. You are supposed to tell a story, not explain a concept like it is in class. 


2) Let your eyes act - Delivering the lines with a clean accent is simply not enough, because your eyes should match what you are saying. Your eyes play a big role in communicating a message, as they do in everyday conversations. The eyes, as we all know, are the window of our soul. If you're not used to it, at first you might feel it's overacting, but actions that may appear a little overboard for normal circumstances are actually expected for video shoots. 


3) Movements should be snappy - Simple movements should be emphasized. For example, in the scene where the phone needs to be picked up, you just don't lousily grab it - you have to accentuate it. Movements for tying your shoelaces, putting the laptop in the bag, or any other basic action which we typically do without even thinking should be subtly accompanied by counts to make it look snappy. 


4) Reporter's stance - When conducting interviews, non-verbal cues like nods and hand gestures are extremely important. You establish good eye contact with the person you're interviewing, and you never look at the camera while you're conversing with your interviewee. For documentaries, you look straight into the camera to communicate with the viewers at home. 


5) Patience - Your patience will be worn thin when doing video shoots. First, the scheduled call time is way earlier than the actual. The directors just want to have all the talents on the set as early as possible, and keep them there so they'll be available when they're ready to shoot the next scene. You sit there with your make up on, anxiously waiting for your turn. Doing multiple takes is normal because even if they're satisfied with it, they will still get another one "for safety". so you need to do the whole routine again. In the train scene, I had to bear the sweltering heat from the Buendia to the Alabang stations, and fight your way through the crowd while you’re staying in character.


 I never thought that I would have the chance to do a commercial to be shown on National Geographic, a premiere cable channel. Sure, I flirted with the idea before because after all, trainers are supposed to be good actors, but I knew it was a long shot. Moving up to the next level is a constant cycle. When you feel you've accomplished something big, you ask the question - what's next?:) 


Here's the full TVC ad - 



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations again, baby! Regardless of which hat you wear, be that of a trainer or a TVC talent, you're consistent in making me feel so proud. :) I have a favorite though... it's when you put on your "fiance hat"! :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete