Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tips for Runners

SlimmeRun 2011
Last week, I finished my fifth 10 kilometer run. I covered the distance in 60 minutes, which is my fastest time to date. I'm a far cry from being a professional runner who has finished half or full marathons, but I take this sport really seriously. I don't run just to bond with friends in a social activity, get a nice singlet, be cool, or show off that I'm physically fit. I put my heart into this. I run for a couple of reasons. First, running has many health benefits, the most important of which is the improvement of cardiovascular endurance. This strengthens our heart, thus greatly reducing the risk of heart disease. Runners don't easily tire in physical activities, and they can cope with stress better. Second is the love for it. I enjoy the thrill of taking different tracks (like the Skyway), feeling the wind drag on a cold morning or afternoon, listening to music on my iPod shuffle that pumps me up, and mentally challenging myself that I can go faster. 


In my younger years, I was part of my high school's football team (or soccer as Americans would call it). I joined a couple of summer sports camps, which taught me the fundamentals of playing the game. I was certainly not the best player on the team, but being part of the varsity armed me with adequate skills to pass the football proficiency exam in college, thereby acquiring PE units automatically. Football enhanced my endurance, because during our training sessions, our coach made us run several times around the massive football field, regardless of weather conditions. And that was only for our warm up before the practice game. I had a constant source of energy, which was not surprising for my age. However, that was more than a decade ago.


Milo Marathon July 2010
So when I decided to take part in the running phenomenon in the Philippines, I felt that it was going to be a piece of cake. I joined my first 5k run in July 2010, and I thought it would just be a breeze. I didn't practice before the run, and I barely had any sleep the night before the event. Worse, I didn't even bother to stretch while waiting for the gun start. I thought to myself, "I was a football player. I could wing this." 


I couldn't have been more wrong. Running is not that simple. The result was unremarkable.I took the sport lightly, which was a mistake that would never happen again. Since then, I have joined 6 running events (Adidas King of the Road, Milo Marathon, Condura Run for the Dolphins, Hyundai Fun Run, National Geographic Earth Run, and Slimmer's World SlimmeRun)  I didn't dwell on the mistakes of my first run, and I have emerged in better form every single time.


Here's my advice for all the would be runners, who are about to jump in the running bandwagon. All of these tips emanate from research and experience:


Practice - You can't just join a run without preparation. It's like driving your car at a drag race without even tuning up the engine. You don't want break down along the way, so proper conditioning is the key. Start practicing a month away from the event. Gradually pace and push yourself. For me, it's still better to practice outdoors than on a treadmill. You need to be acclimated with nature's elements.


Watch your breathing - Your breathing rate changes when you're running, and you want to pump in more oxygen in your lungs than usual. Breathe in within 3 steps, and breathe out within 2 steps. Intervals would still depend on the length of your stride, though. 


Posture - Good posture must be maintained throughout the run. Otherwise, you would feel the soreness on your shoulders. Avoid leaning forward because it might affect your sense of balance. Straighten your posture, but stay relaxed.


Swinging of armsWhile running is mostly about lower extremities, the motion of your upper body will ensure your stability. When you run, the natural movement of your arms should be forward and backward, not across your chest.  This will cause unnecessary waste of effort and energy, since it is not really contributing anything. You're not gonna knock down people along the way, so don't clench your fists as if you're ready to punch someone. Just loosen up. 


Lift your legs higher - Try to lift your legs more as you stride. Power should come from the legs, not your heels. If you don't raise them high enough, you will put a lot of stress on both your feet as a bulk of your weight comes crashing down every step. But remember, it's a marathon, not a 100-meter dash, so the elevation level of your thighs shouldn't be exaggerated. 


Runner's discipline - If it's your first run and you notice a lot of people passing you by, then don't feel pressured. Don't attempt to catch up with them, or you will easily run out steam. Reserve the fuel in your tank as you head towards the last stretch. Focus on yourself, enjoy the run, and finish the race.  


Keep on challenging yourself - I have had five 10 kilometer runs, and I have constantly improved my finish time record by 5 minutes after every race. From a finish time of 1 hour and 20 minutes for my first 10K, I trimmed it down to an even 60 minutes for my last. Always challenge yourself to do better, until you have reached your threshold. Set a higher target which will direct your efforts.


Look for running buddies - It would be a great help if you could find someone who share the same passion for fitness. Encourage your friends to join you in this routine. After all, running is the cheapest form of exercise. All the sweat poured from running regularly will pay off.


Run for the right reasons - Run because you love to run. Enough said. 


Stay fit guys!













No comments:

Post a Comment